Sunday, April 26, 2009

Footnote for genealogy research

Chris McGinn posted a new blog on Digital Landing! Read about Footnote.com and researching your genealogy.

Recently I have gotten into genealogy research and have been fascinated by the tantalizing bits of info I have found about some of my family members. To this point, I haven’t wanted to sign up for any of the services like Ancestry.com because I am always hesitant to “subscribe” to sites.

However, I am very interested in a site called Footnote.com. What sets it apart is that while you can subscribe to the site, you can also pay for individual documents. Just $1.95 each. So I could download the image of my ancestors page in the 1930s census for less than $2. I can save it on my computer or view it on the site whenever I want.

Footnote also has a social aspect with individuals being able to add information to the site or to pages for individuals appearing on the site. Great for families with several research lovers to connect.

Next I’m going to explore my local library which has the Ancestry.com library edition. I’m not sure what I’ll be able to look up there, but I’m excited that it will be free!

How do you research family history?

No comments: